computation on the client instead of the server

Vianney Lecroart lecroart at nevrax.com
Thu Sep 12 08:58:01 EST 2002

Hello,

I read the thesis about rsync and I would like to know if we can do
something different with rsync.

Imagine that I have one server that contains a set of data. This server
is not very strong compare to the number of client that want to sync
there data with the server. If we say that there s 1000 clients, each
client, when sync, will send a list of keys to the server and the server
must verify key for each byte block (I know that the first key is cheap
but not enough).
Is it possible to reverse the system to give the cpu computation to the
client. For example doing that: the server sends keys to the client, the
client make the test for each byte and after depending of the result,
ask the server for the new block. In this way, the server doesn't
require lot of computation (just send key, that can be preca?) and it s
the 1000 client that do each one the process of finding matching block.

The question is, is it possible to do that with the actual rsync
command? Of course the client can't be server because they are not
accessible, it s the client that have to connect to the server.

Thank you for your help.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a-- C+++$ UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+
o? K-
w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h+ r-- y?