computation on the client instead of the server

Peter Kennard peterk at livingwork.com
Thu Sep 12 13:18:01 EST 2002

Gut level feeling here, I'm no rsync expert - but since Rsync is invoked
often through a transparent shell, would it not be possible to create a
script that uses the same shell to invoke a command on the server that
"pushes" the files onto the client?  a problem when the clients do not have
static ip addresses.

I also see this is not what you would want if you were running the server
as a daemon that serves multipe connections with less resources.

I'm surprised it wasn't architected the way you want from the start, the
server could also cache the byte block checksums for files that don't
change too.