Rsync and trying to mirror Linux user areas

Lachlan Cranswick l.m.d.cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 11 20:56:01 EST 2002

Yo,

Just a word of the bleeding obvious on the following problem I reported
previously:
(if someone else did reply - it got lost in the few 100 spam Emails I
get a day)

In the /etc/rsync.conf - under the relevant module area - it was a
matter of setting the uid and gid to root.

   uid = root
   gid = root

(On other machines I have setup with rsync - they all involved setting
up highly conservative modules)

Cheers,

Lachlan.

>As root, I am trying to mirror a Redhat 7.3 Linux user area
>onto another Redhat 7.3 Linux  box using rsync.  This is using
>the following type of command:
>
>rsync -a -v --stats --safe-links
>
>However, rsync cannot mirror most of the user area because
>of the default permissions for the user areas.
>
>e.g.,
>
>opendir(user1): Permission denied
>opendir(user2): Permission denied
>
>drwx------    3 user1    users        4096 Apr 14 20:55 user1
>drwx------    3 user2    usera        4096 Apr 14 20:55 user2
>
>Is there a way around this with rsync so that all user
>files get mirrored? (irrespective of their permissions)?.
>
>(root on both machine can happilly browse around)
>
>Lachlan.

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Synchrotron Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: l.m.d.cranswick at dl.ac.uk   Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/