error starting client-server protocol (code 5)

Doug Schasteen dschast at escindex.com
Fri Sep 6 15:38:00 EST 2002

I fixed it. I misread the man pages about the line to put in inetd.conf.
It DID tell me to put an rsyncd, but I didn't see it because it goes
BEFORE the --daemon. So for anyone in the future that has this same
problem (mistake), make sure you have the following line in your inetd,
WITH "rsyncd" BEFORE --daemon.

rsync  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/bin/rsync rsyncd
--daemon

Also, the man page tells me to send an HUP signal to inetd in order for
it to reread its configuration file. I don't know how to do that so I've
just been rebooting the server. Can anyone tell me how to send an HUP
signal?

- Doug