error starting client-server protocol (code 5)

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Sep 6 14:39:01 EST 2002

Yes, send the conf.  It sounds like it's running, but has nothing to say.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Doug Schasteen" <dschast at escindex.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
09/06/2002 08:10 AM

        To:     <rsync at lists.samba.org>
        cc:     (bcc: Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        error starting client-server protocol (code 5)
        Classification:

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6.2 on two different machines. Both machines have
rync installed by way of the ports library, but one of them is running it
as a server. I followed the directions in the man pages for running the
server using inetd.

Here is what happens:

rsync rsync://myusername@10.0.0.8/

rsync: server sent "rysnc version 2.5.5 protocol version 26" rather than
greeting
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(923)

I get that same error message any way that I try to access the server,
even with a simple "rsync 10.0.0.8::"

Has anyone seen a message like this before? Does it mean that I set
something up wrong? I can post my rsyncd.conf contents if necessary.

- Doug