Older directory overwrites newer file with -u flag

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Oct 15 22:05:59 EST 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:38:29PM -0400, Karl Wieman wrote:
> If I remove a directory 'foo' and create a file foo, and then do a resync from a remote server
>
> with the -u flag, the file will be replaced by the directory, even though
>
> the file is newer than the directory.  Is this a bug, or a feature?

Yes, both.  You have munged the destination so that -u cannot
reasonably cope with it.  As it is now you complain that it
creates the directory.  Change it and someone else will
complain that it skipped a whole directory.  There is no
right action in such a case.

Perhaps you need unison?

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt