synchronizing part of a file

bart.coninckx at sita.be bart.coninckx at sita.be
Tue Oct 15 19:46:00 EST 2002

I think you'd best use a script to first split the two files, symc the
truncated parts with rsync and merge them again afterwards.

Rgds,

Bart

                    rolf.hausammann at acc
                    enture.com                 To:     rsync at lists.samba.org
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    rsync-admin at lists.s        Subject:     synchronizing part of a file
                    amba.org

                    10/15/2002 13:20

Hi all,

I would like to synchronize a part of the source file with a part of the
destination file. In detail I would like to
   -  synchronize a file on a remote host from line "n" onwards with the
file content on the local host starting with line "n" in the file.
   - the firs "n" lines of the files on the local and remote host should
not be changed.

My questions are:
  1)   Is it possible to do this with rsync?
  2)   Has anyone done that before?
  3)   How can I do this/where can I get more information?

Many thanks,
Rolf

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.