Mirroring two systems

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Mar 22 02:47:43 EST 2002

Rsync can only delete files out of directories it is told to examine, and
by specifying $1.* you're giving it a list of files inside the $first
directory and not the $first directory itself.  That's why it can't delete
anything out of $first.  You should remove the "$1.*" (and *not* the
trailing slash) and instead use --include "/$1.*" and --exclude "/*".

- Dave Dykstra