Suspicious sizes by different C compilers

Zoong Pham dpham at mercy.com.au
Tue Mar 19 12:01:45 EST 2002

Hi all,
On my Alpha box running Tru64 5.1, rsync-2.5.4 compiled by GNU gcc
3.0.1 anh GNU make 3.79.1 has this size: 4562848.
The same version of rsync compiled by Compaq C compiler V6.3-028 and
Compaq make has this size: 655424.
It is about _7 times_ smaller!

I did a quick test and they seem both working OK.

Is that normal to see a huge difference in binary size produced by gcc
and vendor's C compilers?
Is there any comprehensive test suite so I can test the rsync to make
sure it works before installing into a production server?

Regards,
Zoong Pham                        zpham at mercy.com.au
UNIX Systems Administrator        Mercy Health and Aged Care Inc.

To get my PGP public key, email me with the subject:
Request for Zoong Pham's PGP public key