(fwd from uke@jeremy.org) thanks and patch

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Mar 21 12:22:46 EST 2002

On 20 Mar 2002, jeremy bornstein <uke at jeremy.org> wrote:
> Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > Wouldn't encrypting the file with gpg change the timestamp as well as the
> > size, so rsync would still copy the file?
>
> It certainly does--which is why I reset it afterwards.
>
> Although the backup script I use is pretty simple, having this patch
> to rsync does not obviate it.   I actually call rsync twice--once to
> determine the list of files to be transferred, and once to transfer
> the encrypted files.  In-between I do the actual encryption (and
> munging of the mod dates).

Oh, do you mean you fiddle the mtimes of the source files to be the same
as those of the destination files, and you want rsync to therefore
not transfer them?

Rather than going to all that trouble, why not just have your script
produce an exclude file?

Perhaps you could also put a link to your script into the faq somewhere.
I'm sure other people would be interested in making gpg-encrypted
backups.

--
Martin