rsync 2.5.5 and Mac OS X

grbear at shaw.ca grbear at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 27 09:10:02 EST 2002

Greetings,

Has anyone successfully compiled rsync 2.5.5 under Mac OS X (not
Server), and actually have it work fully?

I'm in a position where I'm trying to setup an automated nightly remote
backup between and Cobalt Raq4 (running a variant of Redhat Linux) and a
Mac running OS X 10.1.5 with the latest development tools installed.  As
has been pointed out previously on the list, one has to ./configure with
the --disable-ipv6 flag to even get it to compile at all.  However
there's further issues when trying to back up to the Mac running rsync
in inetd --daemon mode.

When I issue the following command:

---
rsync -avz /home xxxxxx at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::raqbackup
---

I get the following error:

---
@ERROR: setgroups failed
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (79 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
---

On the server end, rsyncd.log shows the following:

---
2002/06/27 09:50:03 [19768] setgroups failed: Invalid argument
---

I've had luck running rsync 2.5.2 running through ssh, but because I
can't get it to retain the user/group ownership settings it's completely
useless as 'mirrored' backup unless I spent the next month hand
restoring the file ownership's by hand.  The man pages noted this
limitation, unless running as super-user, which I haven't been able to
get to work (use chroot=yes in rsyncd.conf doesn't seem to do it)

If anyone has been able to get Mac OS X 10.1.5 running as a rsync server
in such a fashion, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

For debuging purposes, my current rsyncd.conf is:

---
use chroot = yes
max connections = 1
syslog facility = local5
motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[raqbackup]
        path = /Volumes/Eeyore/RaqBackup
        comment = Raq Backup Directory
        auth users = xxxxxxx
        secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
---

and the destination directory is set as:

---
drwxrwxrwx    2 nobody  nobody      24 Jun 26 22:09 RaqBackup
---

Thank you for any assistance anyone can offer.

Cheers!