Linux and Solaris performance

Dave North Dave.North at signiant.com
Wed Jul 17 11:59:05 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard A Badger [mailto:bab at vx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 2:35 PM
To: rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: Linux and Solaris performance

> In each instance I have rsync running as a server on the target
machine
> (Linux in each case).  I just can't explain why the performance is
just
> so AMAZING on Linux.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
Just guessing...

Are you _doing_ the same thing in each case?
That is, not, "did you type the same command",
but does rsync perform the exact same block transfers?

You use rsync to move changes from one machine to another,
are you moving the same changes?
Maybe there isn't much difference between the files on the linix
machines.

DN: Sorry, I forgot to mention.  NONE of the files exist on the target
machine (that is, it's a straight copy)...there is no realy sync'ing (in
the true sense of the word) to be done for each file.

Cheers

Dave