Linux and Solaris performance

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Wed Jul 17 15:54:02 EST 2002

Dave North wrote:

> We have an interesting quandry here.  When I'm rsync'ing my directory
> tree (100 directories each containing 1000 files) I see some strange
> results:
>
> All of these machines are on their own network segment (100t) in our QA
> lab
>
> Solaris->Solaris - time taken: 11m32s
> Solaris->RH Linux 7.2 - time taken: 206s
> RH Linux->Rn Linux - time taken 1m59s
>
> In each instance I have rsync running as a server on the target machine
> (Linux in each case).  I just can't explain why the performance is just
> so AMAZING on Linux.  Any ideas?

You did not mention what hardware you are running. If you are running
Ultra-10 boxes then they have a slow IDE hard disk controller chipset
(CMD640 I think).

If your linux box has a faster IDE/SCSI controller (as long as it runs
faster than 12.5Mbytes/s) then that would explain some of the
difference. Linux->linux rsync I'd guess you are seeing the network as
the bottleneck. Solaris->solaris I'd guess you are seeing the disk (or
some other HW) as the bottleneck. Of course if your solaris HW is an
V880 then I'm out to lunch on my guess.

eric