Error when compile rsync

Albert Chin rsync at lists.thewrittenword.com
Thu Jan 31 17:40:58 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:49:33PM -0800, Jennifer Lu wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. Configure was run successfully, just
> curious for the output, because I ran it on Ultra-2 which is running
> 64-bit, even the output from configure saying 64, but why the next line
> "checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no" say no,
>
> configure: loading cache /dev/null
> configure: Configuring rsync 2.5.2
> checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
> checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking for C compiler default output... a.out
> ..
> checking for remsh... 1
> checking for broken largefile support... no
> checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
> checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
> checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
> ..
>

> Does it mean that it doesn't support largefile?

No. It means that in order to support large files,
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 is being added to $CPPFLAGS (look at CPPFLAGS
in Makefile). This also means that you are *not* compiling a 64-bit
version of rsync. You are compiling a 32-bit version with support for
large files.

To compile a 64-bit version:
  $ CC=cc CFLAGS="-xarch=v9" ./configure [blah]
This assumes you're using the Sun C compiler.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)