File system usage

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Thu Jan 3 15:49:33 EST 2002

Rsync is great. (What is cp? What is tar? Since I started using rsync I
forgot how to use those tools.) I sync over 1,000,000 files (50G) to
multiple destinations every day.  Over medium speed links it takes about
3 hrs.

The default mode of operation creates a hidden (.file) on the
destination while transferring. This is only done one file at a time so
there is very little overhead unless you have a 10G filesystem with a
single 9G file -- even then I think there are rsync flags to deal with
this situation...

If you run into a file count limitation then split it up do do the rsync
on a dir-by-dir basis. There are scripts in the mailing list archives. I
don't have enough memory/time to easily do the whole tree at once -- I
do each top-level subdir individually.

eric