rsync for PDAs?

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 5 21:07:01 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:13:49PM -0700, Cliff L. Biffle wrote:
> I've been working for the past few months with open-source solutions for
> syncing Palm PDAs (Coldsync, mostly).  I've been becoming increasingly
> annoyed with Palm's Desktop Link Protocol and the sync mechanism, and am
> considering replacing it with a third-party application for the Palm.  Since
> I've had good luck with rsync in the past, its seemed an obvious choice.
>
> I've read over the technical documentation and the algorithm looks like it
> could be implemented on a 'small' system.  (In this case small is roughly
> 20mhz+, with very little RAM available on top of that used for storing
> files.)  However, theory rarely reflects reality.  My question is for anyone
> who has experience implementing rsync: how processor/RAM intensive is it
> really?  Is this a pipe dream for resource reasons?
>
> (Now, I'd probably be using a slightly modified rsync, because files in PalmOS
> aren't flat files, but rather record databases.  However, that'd just mean
> the software should be record-aware, but probably won't require a lot of
> modification.)

If you are using a modified rsync that is not backwards compatible, I'd look
at librsync as a way to implement it, rather than modifying rsync.

If you want a relatively easy to understand and experiment with
implementation of the rsync algorithm, have a look at pysync (a working
rsync+xdelta in ~500 lines of heavily commented python).

http://librsync.sourceforge.net/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/pysync

<disclaimer> I'm involved in both of these projects </disclaimer>