rsync for PDAs?

Cliff L. Biffle cbiffle at safety.net
Tue Aug 6 01:29:01 EST 2002

On Monday 05 August 2002 09:04 pm, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> If you are using a modified rsync that is not backwards compatible, I'd
> look at librsync as a way to implement it, rather than modifying rsync.

Thanks! :-)
It's my goal to make this compatible with existing rsync implementations,
which takes all the work out of implementing net- and modem-syncing.  The
structure of files in PalmOS maps reasonably well to the concept of
directories in Un*x, assuming there's no nesting; the records and header data
in a 'database' (a PalmOS structured file) can be represented as files within
a simulated directory.  This would achieve the goal of being structure-aware
while at the same time working with normal implementations on Big Computers.

The modifications necessary to rsync wouldn't be in the algorithm or protocol,
but rather:
--Teaching it to talk to ugen devices (on FreeBSD, I suspect it can already
talk to the ttyUSB devices on Linux, but I haven't tried)
--Porting an implementation of it to Palm.

-Cliff L. Biffle