rsync for PDAs?

Cliff L. Biffle cbiffle at safety.net
Mon Aug 5 12:16:02 EST 2002

I've been working for the past few months with open-source solutions for
syncing Palm PDAs (Coldsync, mostly).  I've been becoming increasingly
annoyed with Palm's Desktop Link Protocol and the sync mechanism, and am
considering replacing it with a third-party application for the Palm.  Since
I've had good luck with rsync in the past, its seemed an obvious choice.

I've read over the technical documentation and the algorithm looks like it
could be implemented on a 'small' system.  (In this case small is roughly
20mhz+, with very little RAM available on top of that used for storing
files.)  However, theory rarely reflects reality.  My question is for anyone
who has experience implementing rsync: how processor/RAM intensive is it
really?  Is this a pipe dream for resource reasons?

(Now, I'd probably be using a slightly modified rsync, because files in PalmOS
aren't flat files, but rather record databases.  However, that'd just mean
the software should be record-aware, but probably won't require a lot of
modification.)

-Cliff L. Biffle