rsync md4sum code.

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sat Apr 27 02:43:16 EST 2002

G'day,

I've been working on a Python interface to librsync and have noticed that it
uses md4sum code borrowed from Andrew Tridgell and Martin Pool that comes
via rsync and was originally written for samba.

Is there anything special about this code compared to the RSA md4sum code that
can be found with libmd <"http://www.penguin.cz/~mhi/libmd/">?

Python uses the RSA md5sum code for it's md5 module, and making a Python md4
module was as simple as "sed 's/\(md\)5/\14/i'" over the Python interface code.

I'm contemplating some cleanup code hacking on librsync and was wondering if
the samba based md4sum code was "better" than the RSA code, or if it is
worth switching.