rsync md4sum code.

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Sat Apr 27 15:33:01 EST 2002

On 27 Apr 2002, Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I've been working on a Python interface to librsync and have noticed that it
> uses md4sum code borrowed from Andrew Tridgell and Martin Pool that comes
> via rsync and was originally written for samba.

Tridge recently discovered a bug in that code that probably does not
weaken the digest, but that may make it incompatible with standard
MD4.  Basically, tail-extension is not properly carried out for blocks
that are a multiple of 64 bytes in size.

I haven't had a chance yet to check how this affects rsync.  If it
does, I suppose we should evolve the protocol to fix it.

There's not meant to be anything special about it.  One of my TODO
items was to replace it with a faster implementation.

--
Martin