Patch to avoid 'Connection reset by peer' error for rsync on cygwin

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Apr 26 10:21:04 EST 2002

Max Bowsher [maxb at ukf.net] writes:

> I though that shutdown acts as below:
(no data loss)
> SUSv2 is annoyingly somewhat vague on the specifics.

So are the FreeBSD/Linux man pages.  They don't specifically indicate
truncation or flushing of data, although I don't recall ever thinking
of shutdown() as truncating.

To be, what Microsoft got wrong in WinSock is _requiring_ shutdown()
to reliably close a socket while ensuring all final data gets
delivered.  It certainly caught me by surprise (and annoyance) at one
point.  I rarely ever used it in a Unix environment, but I do think it
should be safe.

-- David