rsync recursion question

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Oct 24 06:50:01 EST 2001

That's the way it is.  If it's really a one-off change, a huge change in your structure, telnet ssh, rsh, and so forth, work really well for dropping in and deleting stuff (unless you're supplying the master, and other systems out of your control copy
from you).  Rsync is optimized for taking a filesystem in an unknown state, and making it identical to another filesystem in an unknown state, using network bandwidth as efficiently as possible.

Once again, please ignore my stupid confidentiality notice.  New notes client, required upgrade, can't delete the danged thing.

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

                    Justin Banks
                    <justinb at tricord.           To:  rsync at lists.samba.org
                    com>                        cc:  (bcc: Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS)
                    Sent by:                    Subject:  rsync recursion question
                    rsync-admin at lists
                    .samba.org                  Classification:

                    10/23/2001 11:37
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    justinb

Hello -
      I have a problem/question about rsync's recursion and directory
replication. Here's the problem. Say I have a large filesystem, on the order
of a TB. It's all under /mnt/bigfs on host "local". In /mnt/bigfs, I have
three directories,  a, b, and c. I remove directory a. I want to propagate
this change to the host "remote", and what I'd like to do is have host
"remote" just remove directory a recursively. The only way I can see to do
that is to send directory /mnt/bigfs recursively from host "sender". This
doesn't work very well, though, 'cause it takes a *really* long time to walk
the whole filesystem. I know the only thing that's changed is the existence of
directory a - how to I propagate that change, and that change only?

-justinb

Justin Banks Tricord, Inc. justinb at tricord.com
The Church says that the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for
I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow
than in the Church.   --Ferdinand Magellan