problem with 2.4.7pre4

Jeremy Hansen jeremy at xxedgexx.com
Fri Nov 30 10:33:58 EST 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Martin Pool wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2001, Jeremy Hansen <jeremy at xxedgexx.com> wrote:
>
> > Linux.
>
> By the way when reporting bugs like this it is good to give a more
> specific description, like "RedHat 7.1 on x86".

Sorry.  This is a Red Hat 6.2 machine.  2.2.19 kernel.  Both ends are the
same.

> > Other files are ok, even files that are simular in size, I have a
> > 700meg file that seems ok.
> >
> > I'm aware of the 2 gig limit, but these files aren't close to 2gigs.
> > Note that I get very bad behavior with 2.4.7pre4, it doesn't even attempt
> > to copy, 2.4.6 just seems to fail at the end.
>
> 2.4.7 should not have a 2GB limit unless the underlying OS does.  On
> Linux this means that you need a moderately recent version of both the
> kernel (>2.4?) and C library.  If you have that, despite running on a
> mostly-32-bit processor it should work properly.  rsync --version will
> tell you whether rsync *thinks* it can handle big files, but it's
> possible that they will still fail.

> That error often means the ssh connection is failing.

The server is running rsyncd and client connections are going over an
stunnel.  The daemon is actually running using DJB's
ucspi-tcp/daemontools/supervise.

Here is the command line of the server:

exec envuidgid root \
tcpserver -DRUvX -x /etc/tcpcontrol/rsyncd.cdb 0 rsync rsync -vvv --daemon

> Can you please post the exact command you're running and the rsyncd
> configuration file?

Here is the command line of the client:

rsync -avz --progress rsync://localhost/apache_logs/access_log .

localhost because this is going over an stunnel.  Here is the rsyncd.conf:

use chroot = yes
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1
uid = nobody
gid = nobody

[apache_logs]
        uid = root
        gid = root
        path = /usr/local/apache/logs
        comment = apache server log files, etc.
        read only = yes

Thank You.

-jeremy

--
The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all your time.