EOF erors

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 15 04:24:03 EST 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> At first glance, it looks like select() is returning, claiming that there's
> some data, but read() is returning zero, claiming that there isn't any.

Select's return can also mean that the fd has changed state to EOF, so
this might be entirely consistent.  Is there a core file on the other
machine?  That was the case for me the only time that I saw this error
(back when --exclude-cvs was causing rsync to crash).  Does ssh actually
work to transfer data?  You could try using something like this for a
simple test:

    ssh remote.machine cat /some/file >/tmp/foo
    ssh remote.machine 'cat >/tmp/bar' </tmp/foo