[clug] VM initiated VMotion

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:27:25 UTC 2022

HI Hugh & Steve,

THere are issues with some of the hosts in the cluster, where they don't
have full access to the VLAN they advertise, usually manifesting by VMs
being able to talk to anything else on the network, including the default
route.

So sending network messages to an external process to initiate the transfer
won't work.

I was hoping for a way to communicate with the hypervisor via the kernel
module. The boxes get migrated around the cluster a fair bit, as part of
VMWare's internal load-balancing process.

Ideally, the dodgy  hosts and their VLAN issues should get fixed, but the
VMWare team is overloaded and we keep on getting hammered by reports of VMs
that are seemingly down.

--

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn