[clug] thunderbird displayed "From"

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 11:30:54 UTC 2019

On 6/14/19 9:05 PM, Steve Walsh via linux wrote:
> Hello Eyal
>
> On 14/6/19 6:06 pm, Eyal Lebedinsky via linux wrote:
>> From: Keith Goggin via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
>> and the quote in the reply starts with
>>     On 14/6/19 4:37 pm, steve jenkin via linux wrote:
>> so the information is there and used otherwise - so why not in the
>> "From" column?
>

> The Samba project (who host our list) enabled a number of DKIM features
> on their various lists in January 2018, one of which rewrites the sender
> name to "take ownership" of the email within the transaction chain so it
> can DKIM sign it correctly. To do that, it can no longer "masquerade" as
> the original sender, but must, instead, indicate it's sending it on
> behalf of the original sender.
>
> Thunderbird honors that DKIM rewrite, and thus displays the sender's
> name differently to you.

Which makes things simpler - even if it appears to change things.
Another reason why I greatly appreciate someone taking the trouble to
implement DKIM for the list.
The From column reminds me that the message is From the list (where the
Author sent it), so that I reply correctly (to the list, not to the
writer). i.e. this email I'm replying to didn't (primarily) come From
Steve Walsh - it came From the list.

It's still clear to me: in the Inbox, and within the email who is the
author. Additionally I'm cryptographically reassured that the email did
indeed come from CLUG. Thunderbird 60.7.0 (64-bit)
https://scottferguson.com.au/uploads/files/thunderbird.png

Kind regards

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html