[clug] thunderbird displayed "From"

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Fri Jun 14 11:05:30 UTC 2019

Hello Eyal

On 14/6/19 6:06 pm, Eyal Lebedinsky via linux wrote:
> From: Keith Goggin via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
> and the quote in the reply starts with
>     On 14/6/19 4:37 pm, steve jenkin via linux wrote:
> so the information is there and used otherwise - so why not in the
> "From" column?

The Samba project (who host our list) enabled a number of DKIM features
on their various lists in January 2018, one of which rewrites the sender
name to "take ownership" of the email within the transaction chain so it
can DKIM sign it correctly. To do that, it can no longer "masquerade" as
the original sender, but must, instead, indicate it's sending it on
behalf of the original sender.

Thunderbird honors that DKIM rewrite, and thus displays the sender's
name differently to you.