[clug] Touch Screen devices and Apps

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon Jun 3 10:33:22 UTC 2019

On Monday, 03-06-2019 at 18:13 Stephen Hocking wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I did spin up Ubuntu Touch on my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet (which is now running
> LineageOS). It worked OK, but there was a paucity of apps.

1) https://lineageos.org/legal/ is sure a polished web site with a great look. If LinageOS is where as well presented as their web site, then I expect good things.

2) You mentioned "paucity of apps" ?  I don't actually use "apps".  On the Windows 8 tablet PC I use, I still head to the desktop, load up Firefox or Windows Explorer and play downloaded Linux Conf MP4s using Windows Media Player. Occasionally look at photos taken by a "Camera" app (so I guess I do use at least one app). I would use a navigation app if I had mobile Internet, but I do not.

If you don't mind sharing what "apps" you use/like/find useful, then please let me/us know.   I want to learn more about "apps", what and why it is people use them.

Does anyone else use "apps" as opposed to normal Personal Computer style applications? If so, what are they and why do you use them. Is it because the apps are tailored for use on a small screen and/or a touch screen?

I was watching a YouTube streamer last night, and though he is much younger than myself, he stated that he only uses this mobile phone while sat on the toilet, otherwise he would be using a desktop with nice large screen. I relate to the "desktop with nice large screen" it really is my main way (99%) of using a personal computer. At home my laptop is docked and used as a 'Desktop with three monitors,' and is only used as a laptop when visiting others.

I wonder if people's use of mobile devices relates to multitasking?  I have been told that some people watch TV while also reading or watching on a mobile device. And I have seen people unsuccessfully attempting to walk while using a mobile device. I know some people can use mobile devices during business meetings, if I were to do that I would miss too much of the meeting.