[clug] Touch Screen devices

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 08:13:17 UTC 2019

Hiya,

I did spin up Ubuntu Touch on my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet (which is now running
LineageOS). It worked OK, but there was a paucity of apps.

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 13:32, jhock--- via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> I just had another look at the tablet capabilities of my HP. The only
> distribution that worked properly was the base Ubuntu. Mate and Unity
> didn't even rotate the screen.
>
> I guess I'll only use the tablet form when browsing on the Tor web
> browser. I'll use Mate in laptop form when I've got something serious to
> do.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> John.
>
> On 3 June 2019 09:07:11 GMT+10:00, jhock--- via linux <
> linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >Hi George,
> >
> >I'm using an HP Spectre 360 with Ubuntu 18 (whatever is the latest Long
> >Term Support version).
> >
> >I'm not happy with the results. The touch screen mostly works but it's
> >not really functional in tablet form. It just doesn't work as expected.
> >I got fed up with it and now I mostly use it in laptop form with the
> >keyboard.
> >
> >I was hoping that Ubuntu would sort out the problem for me with the
> >upgrade to version 18 but that didn't happen. I did an update on the
> >weekend. I'll test it again to see if there are any improvements.
> >
> >John.
> >
> >On 2 June 2019 20:28:12 GMT+10:00, George at Clug via linux
> ><linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>

> >>I would be curious to learn who is using Linux (not android) on Touch
> >>screen personal computer devices ?   And what GUI?
> >>

> >>I have an Atom processor based Windows 8 Tablet PC.   I find that
> >>Windows 8.0 and 8.1 work well on it, in usability terms. To my
> >>knowledge Microsoft is not continuing support for Atom processors, so
> >>at some point, I may want to install a Linux Touch screen GUI and/or
> >>distro on the Tablet PC. Other than an old Android phone, all my other
> >>devices and screens are non-touch.
> >>

> >>Touch screen devices that I am aware of are; Laptop, Tablet, and Smart
> >>Phone, of which I would call Laptops and Tablets as personal computer
> >>devices. Others may have their own definitions.
> >>

> >>George.
>
> --

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"