[clug] July talk - junkcode tours (technical)

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 3 05:15:49 UTC 2019

Thanks, Neill:

> Such a talk will by its very nature be unstructured and probably highly
> technical.
>
> It will also be hard to share any prior reading list beyond pointing at
> the speakers' junk code repos if they have such things.
>
> I think this is a great idea and it gets my vote.
>
> If this doesn't appeal to you perhaps you should just give this talk a
> miss? Or come along but be prepared for a fire hose of information.

Here are ideas for helping an Aspie like me.

{*Accommodations to consider:*

     *Communication*. Employers can allow more written communication
instead of verbal. Email, instant messaging and texting can increase an
employee’s understanding, clarity, productivity, and comfort level, as
well as resonance of information.

     *Written instructions* instead of verbal can ensure understanding
and allow time to process and go over the content.

     *Recorded verbal instructions* can be helpful. Allow use of voice
activated recorder for recording verbal instructions.

     Take into account *specific learning and memory enhancing styles*.
Experiment when the best method has yet to be determined.

     *Digital devices such as tablets* have beneficial means of
enhancing communication. Digital devices also can bridge a social gap,
creating a commonality with other employees who are also interested in
digital advancements. Tablets can be used for meetings as a comfort
device, a way to keep nervous hands busy and a way to keep necessary
information at hand.

     *Communication between supervisor and employee* may need to be more
detailed. Advance notice of meetings, meeting topics and events could
provide a sense of security. Lack of surprise and ability to mentally
prepare could be a worthwhile and minimally intrusive assistance.

     *Stress management.* Allow an option to go to a quiet place a few
times a day (or as needed). Not every job has a cubicle. Allow
noise-reducing or eliminating headphones.

     *Relocation of workspace where possible.* Reduction or elimination
of loud noises, fluorescent lights or a hectic, highly trafficked area.
Reduction of stress is important.

     *Short breaks as needed or in timed increments,* say 5 minutes
every hour to refocus and recharge.

     *Atypical body movements.* Use of a job coach (on the job or off)
to review what body gestures are appropriate and which ones aren’t. Use
of videos on YouTube or other sources to train socially appropriate body
language and responses.

     *Job restructuring.* Allow for longer training time to absorb new
material, and to mentally cement concepts and tasks. Set aside time for
periodic review of training materials.

     *Give more social distance* at times by allowing electronic
communication or allow work from home part-time.

     *Modify schedule* to make it more predictable, more in tune with
preferred hours, or with reduced hours.

     *Reevaluate schedule,* task expectations and methods of completion
from time to time.

     *Assignment of projects in a systematic and predictable manner.*
More communication (perhaps written) from supervisor relating priority
of tasks.

     *Organization.* Organization is difficult for many people. Some
people are very skilled at it, but many struggle with it. It can be
particularly difficult for someone with ASD. Provide a skilled mentor to
initially set up a system of organization, as well as check in
periodically to modify and give reminders. Use of color-coded calendars
to keep track of tasks, due dates, appointments and meetings.

     *Social assistance.* Social assistance will help with social
acceptance at work.

     *Use of a mediator/counselor* to help employee express feelings
appropriately when needed. Can review misunderstandings or conflict.

     *Provide initial social training* on expectations by short-term job
coach with videos and role-play. Revisit as needed.

     *Time management.* Time management can be difficult for an adult
with autism. Since productivity is tied to time management, it is
crucial to develop a streamlined system. Use of large desk calendars,
timers for task management and digital reminders can keep an employee on
track.}

https://www.findatopdoc.com/Healthy-Living/Adults-with-Autism-in-the-Workplace-Accommodation-Tips
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/