[clug] 10GBASE-T networking only two computers together

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Aug 21 08:32:24 UTC 2019

On 21/8/19 6:03 pm, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Am I correct in thinking that SFP+ is fibre ?
> http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/what-does-sfp-stand-for.html
> SFP stands for small form-factor pluggable. It is a compact, hot-swappable optical transceiver module that used in telecommunications and data communications networks.

No.

SFP+ is, as the name suggests, a form factor.

The form factor generally describes the physical dimensions and
electrical connections for a particular type of module. The original SFP
form factor standard topped out the speed at about 5Gbps. Modules in the
SFP+ form factor can operate up to 16Gbps.

A quick google brings up the wikipedia page at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver
with more information you may or may not find useful.