[clug] 10GBASE-T networking only two computers together

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Aug 21 08:03:51 UTC 2019

Thanks Steve,

 Am I correct in thinking that SFP+ is fibre ?
http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/what-does-sfp-stand-for.html
SFP stands for small form-factor pluggable. It is a compact, hot-swappable optical transceiver module that used in telecommunications and data communications networks.

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in

http://www.fiber-optic-cable-sale.com/10g-technology-10gbase-t-technology-vs-sfp-plus-technology.html

My set up was going to be two Ryzen 3900x PCs acting as hypervisors each with one 10gbase-t ethernet cards directly connected by Cat6a, with no switch involved. Less than a meter between the two computers.

Simple, cheap and maybe a bit nasty, but should provide good bandwidth for replication between the two computers? At least faster than the disk drives I would be using.

Just not sure what is the best technology to use for the replication.  Some of my ideas so far are DRDB or GlusterFS or something else?

Not sure what is best for sharing storage, NFS or iSCSI or something else?

I am open for suggestions.

https://community.fs.com/blog/should-we-use-cat6-or-cat6a-for-10gbase-t.html
Ethernet cable with higher bandwidth such as Cat6 cable, Cat6a cable and Cat7 cables are introduced for high-speed applications of 10GBASE-T.

http://www.fiber-optic-transceiver-module.com/rj45-vs-sfp-which-should-i-use-to-connect-two-switches.html
http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/best-10g-solution-10gbase-t-sfp.html