[clug] 10GBASE-T networking only two computers together

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Aug 21 09:45:48 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 21-08-2019 at 18:32 Steve Walsh via linux wrote:

> On 21/8/19 6:03 pm, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> > Am I correct in thinking that SFP+ is fibre ?
> > http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/what-does-sfp-stand-for.html
> > SFP stands for small form-factor pluggable. It is a compact, hot-swappable optical transceiver module that used in telecommunications and data communications networks.
>
> No.
>
> SFP+ is, as the name suggests, a form factor.
>
> The form factor generally describes the physical dimensions and
> electrical connections for a particular type of module. The original SFP
> form factor standard topped out the speed at about 5Gbps. Modules in the
> SFP+ form factor can operate up to 16Gbps.
>
> A quick google brings up the wikipedia page at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver
> with more information you may or may not find useful.

"An SFP interface on networking hardware is a modular (plug-and-play) slot for a media-specific transceiver in order to connect a fiber optic cable or sometimes a copper cable."

Just to clarify I guess this means that the "CRS305-1G-4S+IN: Five-port desktop switch with one Gigabit Ethernet port and 4 SFP+ 10Gbps ports" is a 4 port SPF+ switch, and it depends on the transceiver (not included) that you use, whether you connect using copper or optic fiber ?

Fibre - https://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=282&osCsid=n7l0ob4hk02bn3a2nm0v1nlc67
S+85DLC03D is a 10Gbit SFP+ transceiver with a 850nm Dual LC connector, for up to 300m Multi Mode fiber connection.

or

SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Module - 10GBase-T Transceiver for Cisco SFP-10G-T-S, Ubiquiti UF-RJ45-10G, Netgear, D-Link, Supermicro, TP-Link, Broadcom, Linksys, up to 30m