[clug] Blank CD-R Disc

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 3 01:31:51 UTC 2018

Thanks again, Scott:

> It's octal.
> The standard, shorthand, way of describing (and setting with chmod) Unix
> file permissions.

I bookmarked the calculator page.

> I'm assuming there are no snippets in /etc/sudoers.d/

I rebooted the tower-pc, via GRUB, into recovery-mode. Then I dropped to
the root shell prompt. And I remounted the filesystem with write
permissions.

I copied /etc/sudoers and /etc/sudoers.d/README to my Desktop directory.
Then I exited, followed by rebooting the PC.

>>> The default contents of /etc/sudoers should be:-
> <snipped>
>>
>> That file is locked; I lack permission to view it.
>
> And you are running as "brian" (whoami/bash prompt will tell you), and
> you don't have a root login?

After rebooting, both those copied files were locked; I couldn't read
them! Perhaps my machines had contracted a virus? So I opened Ubuntu
Software, attempting to install ClamTk. A window said "Authentication
Required", "Administrator" and asked for the Password. But, on entering
that, I got the error "Sorry, that didn't work. Please try again."!

> Nothing in your system logs to indicate some sort of security issue?

/var/log/syslog is locked, so I can't read it!

> e.g. selinux errors

That term is beyond my understanding!

> No system changes you made to both machines?

None that I can think of!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/