[clug] Blank CD-R Disc

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 13:30:11 UTC 2018

On 02/09/18 21:56, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> Thanks, Scott:
>
>> Which (also) sounds like a file permissions problem.
>
> I already knew that I didn't have permission!
>
>> /etc/shadow should be 640 and /etc/sudoers should be 440
>
> I don't understand equating files to integers.

It's octal.
The standard, shorthand, way of describing (and setting with chmod) Unix
file permissions.

http://permissions-calculator.org/

>> e.g.(note that you don't need special permissions to run ls on these
>> files - only to read or modify them):-
>> for i in shadow sudoers;do ls -al /etc/$i;done
>
> I got as follows.

Then it's not a permissions issue with those two files.

<snipped>

> My permissions list looks the same as yours. Though the integers before
> the dates are different.

File size - means nothing without knowing the contents.

I'm assuming there are no snippets in /etc/sudoers.d/

>> NOTE: (Important) you should only edit /etc/sudoers with visudo
>
> Yes, I used visudo.
>
>> The default contents of /etc/sudoers should be:-
<snipped>

> That file is locked; I lack permission to view it.

And you are running as "brian" (whoami/bash prompt will tell you), and
you don't have a root login?.... and same condition occurs on two
computers.... that is, very odd.

Nothing in your system logs to indicate some sort of security issue?
e.g. selinux errors

No system changes you made to both machines?

Kind regards