[clug] Blank CD-R Disc

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 2 11:56:25 UTC 2018

Thanks, Scott:

> Which (also) sounds like a file permissions problem.

I already knew that I didn't have permission!

> /etc/shadow should be 640 and /etc/sudoers should be 440

I don't understand equating files to integers.

> e.g.(note that you don't need special permissions to run ls on these
> files - only to read or modify them):-
> for i in shadow sudoers;do ls -al /etc/$i;done

I got as follows.
{
-rw-r----- 1 root shadow 1271 Sep  2 19:16 /etc/shadow
-r--r----- 1 root root 755 Jan 18  2018 /etc/sudoers
}

> -rw-r----- 1 root shadow 1434 May 31 00:38 /etc/shadow
> -r--r----- 1 root root 669 Jan 14  2017 /etc/sudoers
>
> If the file permissions are not right, then it won't matter whether you
> edit those files or not.

My permissions list looks the same as yours. Though the integers before
the dates are different.

> NOTE: (Important) you should only edit /etc/sudoers with visudo

Yes, I used visudo.

> The default contents of /etc/sudoers should be:-
> Defaults        env_reset
> Defaults        mail_badpass
> Defaults
> secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
> root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

That file is locked; I lack permission to view it.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/