[clug] Updated version of VICI

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 14 07:57:49 UTC 2018

Hi Brenton,

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 03:12:42PM +1000, linux wrote:

> Duncan,
>
> I really appreciate your work on this.
>
> However, it would appear (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you
> have done an install to /usr  and have set $VICI=/usr and then attempted
> to run make check. This is bound to fail as the test scripts rely in
> things in the source directory - $VICI/src has to exist for the tests to
> work.

Well, no. I re-ran the build with no VICI and make install with VICI=$PWD and it
went wrong just the same.

I sent you the logs privatly.

> The Gnu standards for make check only apply to running on the
> uninstalled (but built) code. They point out that in general it is
> impossible to know where things have been installed to, so running a
> check on the installed code is problematic at best. (If a user does make
> install DESTDIR=some/other/path then paths generated by configure will
> be invalid.)
>
> I would suggest doing a build and check as per the instructions in the
> README. Then use your packaging stuff to try out the install.

I didn't use a build dir because I don't care about residual junk - the
SlackBuild unpacks into /tmp and *removes the old source tree first* (all SBs do
that).

> In a few weeks I hope to develop some tests that can be run on the
> installed software. This will be a separate set of tests that only use
> installed files.
> While I hope to generate the configuration file, there is a possibility
> it will need to be adjusted to match where files have been installed to.
>
> Cheers
> Brenton

Cheers ... Duncan.