[clug] Updated version of VICI

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Mon May 14 05:12:42 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 14:18 +1000, Duncan Roe via linux wrote:

> Hi Brenton,
>
> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 09:45:15PM +1000, linux wrote:
> >
> > I put up 0.10.714 this afternoon. I think it might be quite close to
> > being a standard build process.
> >
> > I have used the DESTDIR trick to handle the sub-project separation
> > problem - doing a "make" also does a sneaky "make install" into a
> > staging directory so that the sub-projects can access each others header
> > files and libraries. The secondary aim with the VICI project was to
> > illustrate building very large projects where the sub-projects are built
> > entirely independently of each other (apart from some infrastructure and
> > scaffolding).
> >
> > Have you been able to create and run a script ?
> > (I find it a useful way of wrapping a bash script into a GUI.)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Brenton
> >
> I downloaded and built 0.10.714 but even after export VICI=$PWD, make -i check
> is not running as well as it used to:
>
> The VICI GTH Test screen (with cat/rm/ls/grep) just sits there.
>
> Likewise the Syntax Test screen.
>
> The admin test fails. test-suite.log says "Exception: Alert: Cannot open XML
> file "/usr/src/admin/command.xml": No such file or directory [xml.cpp:89]".
>
> The search test fails. Message is "Alert: Cannot find a file matching
> /VICI-CONFIG/config/Tags/path [xini.cpp:271]". ln -s . build doesn't fix this
> any more.
>
> Both interpreter tests fail. This is the full test-suite.log:

> >    vici 0.10: TestProgram/test-suite.log
> >
> > # TOTAL: 2
> > # PASS:  0
> > # SKIP:  0
> > # XFAIL: 0
> > # FAIL:  2
> > # XPASS: 0
> > # ERROR: 0
> >
> > .. contents:: :depth: 2
> >
> > FAIL: interptest
> > ================
> >
> > Using config: ../interpreter.xml
> > Testing encountered an unrecoverable error: Alert: Cannot find a file matching /VICI-CONFIG/Test/libvici/script [xini.cpp:271]interptest completed with errors
> >
> > FAIL: scriptest
> > ===============
> >
> > Using config: ../interpreter.xml
> > Exception: Alert: Cannot find a file matching /VICI-CONFIG/Test/vici-scripts/script [xini.cpp:271]
> >
> Cheers ... Duncan.

Duncan,

I really appreciate your work on this.

However, it would appear (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you
have done an install to /usr  and have set $VICI=/usr and then attempted
to run make check. This is bound to fail as the test scripts rely in
things in the source directory - $VICI/src has to exist for the tests to
work.

The Gnu standards for make check only apply to running on the
uninstalled (but built) code. They point out that in general it is
impossible to know where things have been installed to, so running a
check on the installed code is problematic at best. (If a user does make
install DESTDIR=some/other/path then paths generated by configure will
be invalid.)

I would suggest doing a build and check as per the instructions in the
README. Then use your packaging stuff to try out the install.

In a few weeks I hope to develop some tests that can be run on the
installed software. This will be a separate set of tests that only use
installed files.
While I hope to generate the configuration file, there is a possibility
it will need to be adjusted to match where files have been installed to.

Cheers
Brenton