[clug] Updated version of VICI

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Fri May 4 03:59:54 UTC 2018

On 04/05/18 13:53, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 11:58 +1000, Tony Lewis via linux wrote:
>
>> On 04/05/18 11:39, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
>>> (This is problematic - I have about 2400 packages installed on this
>>> machine - so there is a fair chance that there might be other stuff
>>> required.)
>>>
>> Hi Brenton, have you considered using something like LXC to allow you to
>> easily spin up instances of different distros to test your build process?
>>
>> Tony
>>
> Since containers share a kernel they probably are not the answer for
> running multiple distros.

I'd disagree, specifically for your build process.  I'd be guessing all
the troubles you are having come from userland libraries, and are
independent of the kernel.  Running multiple containers under the one
kernel will still get you a long way into debugging your build process.

> My plan for the next iteration is to set up a set of virtual machines
> (with multiple DEs) for testing.

True, running graphical environments in containers is less easy than VMs