[clug] Updated version of VICI

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Fri May 4 03:53:24 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 11:58 +1000, Tony Lewis via linux wrote:

> On 04/05/18 11:39, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
> > (This is problematic - I have about 2400 packages installed on this
> > machine - so there is a fair chance that there might be other stuff
> > required.)
> >

> Hi Brenton, have you considered using something like LXC to allow you to
> easily spin up instances of different distros to test your build process?
>
> Tony

Since containers share a kernel they probably are not the answer for
running multiple distros.
My plan for the next iteration is to set up a set of virtual machines
(with multiple DEs) for testing.
Not practical just now - I need my NBN connection.

However I can see that containers might be useful for controlling what
is available during development and thus preventing the inadvertent
dependency on something unexpected. Perhaps on the next project.

Cheers
Brenton