[clug] Updated version of VICI

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri May 4 04:03:54 UTC 2018

On 04/05/18 13:53, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 11:58 +1000, Tony Lewis via linux wrote:
>
>> On 04/05/18 11:39, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
>>> (This is problematic - I have about 2400 packages installed on this
>>> machine - so there is a fair chance that there might be other stuff
>>> required.)
>>>

>> Hi Brenton, have you considered using something like LXC to allow you to
>> easily spin up instances of different distros to test your build process?
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Since containers share a kernel they probably are not the answer for
> running multiple distros.
> My plan for the next iteration is to set up a set of virtual machines
> (with multiple DEs) for testing.
> Not practical just now - I need my NBN connection.
>
> However I can see that containers might be useful for controlling what
> is available during development and thus preventing the inadvertent
> dependency on something unexpected. Perhaps on the next project.
>
> Cheers
> Brenton

(waiting for my Centos 7 container to install Development Tools - the
default Centos container I got previously was v6 and it doesn't have
Qt >= 4.7...)

So, because Linus said "Don't break userspace", pretty much any old
Linux distro will work fine in a container on any modern kernel. I
regularly run all sorts of old distros in containers on a modernish
host (Debian Stretch, in my case).

In fact, containers work better, in many cases, than full
virtualisation, because the old device drivers are not always able
to drive the emulated devices provided in recent VMs so well.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.