[clug] Recommendations for USB-HDMI peripheral

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Thu Aug 2 01:06:26 UTC 2018

I've splurged on a 32" 2K ViewSonic monitor, but I'm annoyed that with
one laptop (Dell gaming Inspiron with a GTX 960M), it won't drive the
display at anything above 1920x1080.  Funnily enough, an older Dell
laptop with an Intel integrated GPU drives it at 2K just fine.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a USB-HDMI device that will give
me my 2K loveliness, and work well with Xubuntu.

My main contender is the USB3-6950-HDMI from Plugable (
https://plugable.com/products/usb3-6950-hdmi/ ), but it's not officially
supported on Linux.

1. Any info on whether this will work with Linux?

2. Any other recommendations?  I really only need one HDMI connection,
and it's not for gaming, so the plugable unit is a bit overspecced.

Thanks!

Tony