[clug] GNUstep

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 01:55:28 UTC 2017

On 09/09/17 03:10, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:
> It's a directory in my user directory. It contains directories
> "Defaults" and "Library". The former being empty. The latter contains a
> "Services" directory. Which is empty.
>
> What am I supposed to use this for, and how?

You have at least one of three packages installed:-
gnustep-examples
gnustep-gui-runtime
gworkspace.app
wmaker-common

"apt-file update" creates a local database of files and the paths they
are installed to by packages in repositories listed in "grep "^[^#]"
/etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}"

By filtering the output of "apt-file search" you can determine what
packages could have installed those files (knowing that many packages
stow default configuration and directory structure in /usr/lib/$Packagename)

e.g.:-
for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search GNUstep/$i;done
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMState
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMWindowAttributes
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker
gnustep-examples:
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/example.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist
gnustep-examples: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/example.service/example
gnustep-gui-runtime: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/GSspell.service/GSspell
gnustep-gui-runtime:
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist
gworkspace.app: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/thumbnailer.service/Resources
gworkspace.app: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/thumbnailer.service/thumbnailer

a little text processing will give you a short list of packagenames:-
for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u
gnustep-examples
gnustep-gui-runtime
gworkspace.app
wmaker-common

which you can convert into a result that displays the relevant man file
- which will display the answer to your first question (the latter
question is one you'd answer afterwards):-
for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done

Kind regards