[clug] GNUstep

Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 9 05:18:00 UTC 2017

No, Scott:

> You have at least one of three packages installed:-
> gnustep-examples
> gnustep-gui-runtime
> gworkspace.app
> wmaker-common

Apropos gave these results.

gnustep-examples: nothing appropriate.
gnustep-gui-runtime: nothing appropriate.
gworkspace.app: nothing appropriate.
wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.

> "apt-file update" creates a local database of files and the paths they
> are installed to by packages in repositories listed in "grep "^[^#]"
> /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}"

The following resulted.

{grep '^[^#]' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
No matches for wildcard “/etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}”.
fish: grep '^[^#]' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
                    ^
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial main restricted
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-updates main restricted
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial universe
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-updates universe
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial multiverse
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-updates multiverse
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse
debhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  xenial-security main restricted
debhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  xenial-security universe
debhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  xenial-security multiverse
}

> "apt-file update" creates a local database of files and the paths they
> are installed to by packages in repositories listed in "grep "^[^#]"
> /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}"

I used synaptic to install apt-file. Then in a Terminal window, I ran
apt-file update.

> By filtering the output of "apt-file search" you can determine what
> packages could have installed those files (knowing that many packages
> stow default configuration and directory structure in /usr/lib/$Packagename)
>
> e.g.:-
> for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search GNUstep/$i;done
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMState
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMWindowAttributes
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker

{
wmaker-common:: command not found
}

So I used synaptic to install wmaker-common.

But in a Terminal window, that was remarked as absent!

{
apropos wmaker-common
wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.
}

wmaker-common

So I used Synaptic to reinstall it.

Yet the same apropos test failed again. I don't understand this!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/