[clug] low power device for VPN end point

David C cottrill.david at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:30:17 UTC 2017

What is your target throughput? One user or many?
Single threaded should not be a problem unless you need breathtaking speed.
Will your traffic compress well?
Is 73-100Mbps on an Atom good enough?

Source:
https://www.clearos.com/resources/documentation/clearos/content:en_us:kb_o_openvpn_performance

On 9 Jan. 2017 22:23, "Tony Lewis" <tony at lewistribe.com> wrote:

I'm looking for a low power device to be a VPN end point, and I am after
recommendations, please.

The key requirement is high VPN throughput.  I lean towards OpenVPN, but
because it's single-threaded, it seems there are often struggles to get
anywhere close to native throughput.  I understand IPSec implementations
are/can be multithreaded, so that might better fit the bill.

HDMI and GPU and desktop stuff is not important.  Just low power, high
crypto throughput, high reliability and solid Linux support.

Tony