[clug] MFP Printers

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Apr 4 03:57:17 UTC 2016

On 04/04/16 10:46, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:06:36PM +1100, Rodney Peters wrote:
>> I like the colour laser technology in the Fuji Xerox cm305df, but have a less
>> expensive Brother 9120CN (now superceded by 9125CN model, I believe)  All are
>> Postscript.
>>
>> Brother support Linux well, although you need to download the drivers and run
>> a script to install & configure same.  Network scanning just works with the
>> Brothers, but not with many models of most other brands.
>
> Reviving an old thread to add ....
>
> Yesterday I purchased a MFC-9335CDW[1]  Took longer to unbox than to setup on
> my F20[2] laptop.  The brother site had a quite d/l that "*just worked*.
>
> While Linux isn't listed as supported it's clearly been thought about.  The
> source is available for review.
>
> Yours Tony.
>
> [1] http://brother.com.au/products/multi-function-centres/colour-laser-led-mfc/mfc-9335cdw-detail
> [2] Yes I knwo that terribly out of date, don't hate me

Of course, when anyone mentions Linux support for Brother MFC/MFD etc.
I just have to reflect back on the funniest bug ever documented, back in
2009 when we had Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)...

   "I am unable to print from open office, I tried reinstalling open
    office but it did not work. I use a brother mfc240c printer and I
    am running Hardy. Printing from other apps has not been an issue."
   ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/255161 )
   (aka: "OOo does not print on Tuesdays")

(hint: it wasn't OpenOffice's fault and the only blame on the Brother
print driver was that it was relying on the "file" command, which, in
turn, was relying on "libmagic.so", which was broken...).

Hilarious reading through the frustrations of the folk trying to sort
out what was going on...

Bob Edwards.