[clug] Eclipse, Python, Java

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun May 31 23:50:35 MDT 2015

On 01/06/15 15:17, George at Clug wrote:
>     Mike,
>
> I have an interest in a project called OpenMeetings (which I think
> required Java), and currently I would like to learn Python language,
> and what you can do with python.

Eclipse is "good" - but it's far from the only IDE for Python (or Java).
Aside from IDLE there are many others (some better):-
https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

> I looked at a few YouTube videos, but staying awake is an issue.  Can
> you recommend any good ones ?

The only programmers I know who "learnt" from Youtube are illiterate
(and not very good programmers)....

I've many Python books (Packt are probably the best) but I prefer the
up-to-date Python docs:-
https://docs.python.org/3/

Have you tried "apt-get install diveintopython3"?

> My laptop current runs Debian Jessie XFCE so I installed eclipse,
> eclipse-cdt, eclipse-subclipse, subversion, sellarium, and pydev (via
> eclipse).
>
> I was then able to do the usual print("Hello World") in Eclipse and
> Python.   Now I would like to learn the language, maybe a physical
> book would be best for me, not sure. Will try a few more videos first
> as book stores don't seem to bother to stock IT books anymore and I
> have yet to master the concept of "ordering", except with it comes to
> sort algorithms.

<snipped>

Kind regards