[clug] DotNet Visual Studio

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun May 31 04:17:15 MDT 2015

On 31/05/15 13:27, George at Clug wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did people know that Microsoft is now offering  Visual Studio
> Community for free (a community version)?

Yes.
Did you know they're also offering the Power Shell for free[*1] - for Linux?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46919

[*1] The usual Redmond conditions will apply - embrace, extend,
extinguish. Soon your MSCE will qualify you as a Linux admin...

Did you know they also offer various versions of Internet Explorer on
various Windows versions as virtual machine images - also for free??
http://dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/
https://gist.github.com/magnetikonline/5274656

And most of their products can be obtained "free" (as in "free of
care"?) - some lesser known ones:-
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2227
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5002

> At least that is  if I
> read this correctly.  This is not Visual Studio Ultimate, and so I do
> not as yet know what is missing from the community version
>
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/free-developer-offers-vs.aspx
>
> Then there is another version of Visual Studio that can run on Linux.
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/code-vs.aspx
> Visual Studio Code PREVIEW
>
> Code editing redefined and optimized for building and debugging modern
> web and cloud applications. Visual Studio Code is free and available
> on your favorite platform—Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows.
>
> And there is something about .Net being able to run on Linux.

Kind of - mono is a little behind .net

> Not sure
> why you would want to do this, but I guess there are reasons.
> http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/29/microsoft-launches-its-net-distribution-for-linux-and-mac/

<snipped>

Kind regards