[clug] [anne.a.gunn at gmail.com: Ubuntu problem]

Paul Harvey csirac2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 02:28:29 UTC 2015

It could be almost anything, but recently at MHV one our Ubuntu 14 PCs
stopped booting after an update.

In the end I was able to boot it with an older kernel.

To test this idea, at the Grub boot menu which you hopefully see just
before Linux boots, if I recall correctly:
- Arrow down to "Advanced ... ubuntu boot options" (or something to
that effect), press enter
- You should see a list of kernels, each one listed twice ("normal" or
"recovery").
- Arrow down to one of the older (perhaps even the oldest, at the
bottom) non-recovery boot options.

I hope those instructions aren't too vague, but it's what worked for
me a few weeks ago.