[clug] [anne.a.gunn at gmail.com: Ubuntu problem]

John Mills johnmi at effect.net.au
Fri Jul 31 09:25:55 UTC 2015

Ubuntu Desktop 14.04
AARNet mirror was down last Sunday afternoon.
I switched to Internode mirror and was able to get a good update.
I don't know how automatic updates would have handled this, as I do mine manually.
There was also what appeared to be an error in the apt mechanisms on my machine.
On 24 July a panel indicator appeared with text:
An error occurred....could not open file
/var/lib/apt/lists/au.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_restricted_binary-amd64_Packages - open (2: No such file or directory...
I couldn't find this in the logs - I only have a screenshot of it.
I ran apt-get update (after I had a good repository) and I think that fixed it.
Several kernels have come down in the last few days.
The most recent update using the Software Updater GUI required authentication to boot.
"It's never done that before".

Hope this helps.
John Mills